Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Castle Of Cadden

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Castle Of Cadden

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Canmore ID 36829

Site Number NO87SE 3

NGR NO 8586 7483

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36829

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Kinneff
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO87SE 3 8586 7483.

(NO 8586 7483) Castle of Cadden (NR) (site of)

OS 1:10000 map (1973)

The remains of an old work, called the Castle of Cadden, occupy the top of a peninsular rock about 100 yds NE of Kinneff Castle (NO87SE 2). It seems to have had a ditch and drawbridge to protect it from an attack by land, where there remain some vestiges of masonry. The rest seems to have been an earthen mound thrown up about the top of the rock (Statistical Account [OSA] 1793). Nothing is known of its history.

New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; A Jervise 1861

Little remains of the Castle of Cadden save the artificially scarped causeway, with a low bank, 0.6m high, on the landward side of the promontory, and a stretch of masonry 2.0m long, possibly the remains of a curtain wall, on the S side of the promontory.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 19 December 1967

What is probably a medieval fortification, known as Castle of Cadden, occupies a precipitous promontory which juts out from the coastal cliffs 300m ESE of Kinneff parish church. The promontory is enclosed by a low bank, and the only possible line of approach, from the WNW, is cut off by a ditch broken only by an entrance causeway. Along the cliff edge on the SW, a short stretch of lime-mortar masonry is visible, and on the NNE side of the interior there are possible traces of a range of buildings.

RCAHMS 1982

Listed.

Scottish Castle Survey 1988; N Bogdan and I B D Bryce 1991.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions