Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lauriston Castle

Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Lauriston Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Country House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Canmore ID 36326

Site Number NO76NE 7

NGR NO 76126 66600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36326

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish St Cyrus
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO76NE 7.00 76126 66600

NO76NE 7.01 7615 6673 Walled garden

NO76NE 7.02 7660 6676 Mains of Lauriston

NO76NE 7.03 7657 6699 Mains of Lauriston Cottages

(NO 7611 6660) Lauriston Castle (NR)

Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1959)

A castle existed here since the 13th century but by the end of the 18th century the only parts remaining were part of the enclosing wall, with a tower at one end, and a portion of the chapel, which stood at the SW side of the courtyard.

By the end of the 19th century the old remains had been incorporated in the mansion which occupies the site.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845; Name Book 1864

Only the late 18th/early 19th NE wing of Lauriston Castle is occupied, the remainder, including the earlier work at the SW side detailed above, being unroofed and in danger of collapse. There is no trace of the chapel.

Visited by OS (NKB) 22 December 1967

(NO 7611 6660) Lauriston Castle (NAT) and remains of Castle (NR)

OS 1:10000 map (1974)

The remains of Lauriston Castle comprise a curtain-wall incorporating a square tower (both probably of 13th or 14th century origin), and an oblong tower house of three storeys, which may date largely from the 16th century. Part of the tower house has been incorporated into an 18th century mansion, but both are now derelict.

RCAHMS 1982; NMRS KCR/1/1.

Air photographs: AAS/94/10/G19/25-8.

NMRS, MS/712/21.

Architecture Notes

NO76NE 7.00 76126 66600

OWNER IN 1963: Mrs A. Reid, The Stables, Lauriston, St Cyrus.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions