Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Montrose, Ferryden Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Montrose, Ferryden Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Inchbraoch Viaduct; Montrose Basin

Canmore ID 36268

Site Number NO75NW 53

NGR NO 70690 56619

NGR Description NO 70670 56697 to NO 70728 56531

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36268

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Montrose
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO75NW 53 70690 56619 (NO 70670 56697 to NO 70728 56531)

Viaduct [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, April 2006.

Location formerly entered as NO 70690 56619 and NO 7066 5669 to NO 7072 5653.

Not to confused with South Esk (Inchraoch) Viaduct (NO 7074 5705 to 7096 5744), for which see NO75NW 39.

(Location cited as NO 707 567). Viaduct, built c. 1878 by the North British Rly. A 17-span brick viaduct, with semicircular arches.

J R Hume 1977.

This viaduct carries a single-track section of the Edinburgh-Aberdeen main line of the former North British Rly across the (now-infilled) S arm of Montrose Basin; it opened to traffic in 1881. It is built on a gradient of 1-in-88 around a curve and comprises 17 brick-built spans. It has seen significant repointing and brick-replacement in recent years.

M Smith 1994.

This viaduct remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 September 2000.

A single-track viaduct dating from c.1880 carrying the North British Railway over the south-east end of the Montrose Basin. It comprises 17 red-brick semi-circular arches built on a gentle bend, and at the time of survey in 2002, was still in use as part of the Edinburgh to Aberdeen railway.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2002.

This viaduct carries the Edinburgh-Aberdeen main line of the former North British Rly across the S arm of Montrose Basin and to the SW of Rossie Island (or Inchbraoch). The A92 public road also passes beneath the S end.

The structure is depicted (but not noted) on the 1984 edition of the OS 1:10,000 map, and crosses the boundary between the parishes of Montrose (to the N) and Craig (to the S).

The location assigned to the record defines its apparent midpoint; the available map evidence indicates that it extends from NO c. 70675 56670 to NO c. 70729 56530.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 April 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions