Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balbegno Castle

Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Balbegno Castle

Classification Tower House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 36134

Site Number NO67SW 4

NGR NO 63938 72989

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Fettercairn
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO67SW 4.00 63938 72989

NO67SW 4.01 64020 72990 Dovecot

NO67SW 4.02 63943 72954 Garden with Terrace Walls and Gate-piers

NO67SW 4.03 63842 72974 Stable Block and Coachhouses

For Balbegno steading (NO 6415 7310), see NO67SW 30.00.

(NO 6393 7298) Balbegno Castle (NR).

(NO 6401 7298) Dovecot (NAT).

OS 6" map, (1959)

Air photographs: AAS/94/08/G18/10-11.

NMRS, MS/712/21.

Architecture Notes

NO67SW 4.00 63938 72989

Balbegno Castle built in 1569, on a slightly modified L-plan. Alterations in the 17th, 18th and 19th century's included the addition of a farmhouse on the NE. The building is of special architectural interest for the ribbed and groined vaulting over the hall. The dovecot is 17th century pitch-roofed, with crow-steps.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Balbegno Castle, as described by MacGibbon and Ross, is now unoccupied, but the farmhouse (NO67SW 30) on the NE is still in use.

The dovecot is rectangular, measuring 5.7m by 5.0m overall with a wall 0.7m thick and has one string-course. The nesting boxes have been removed.

Visited by OS (R L) 18 August 1971.


Scottish Castle Survey 1988; N Bogdan and I B D Bryce 1991

Non-Guardianship Sites Plan Collection, DC23063, 1935?.

(Undated) information in NMRS.


Field Visit (October 1981)

Balbegno Castle NO 639 729 NO67SW 4

This L-plan tower-house bears the date 1569; the hall has a painted ceiling.

RCAHMS 1982, visited October 1981

(NSA, xi, Kincardine, 116; MacGibbon and Ross 1887-92, ii, 79-82; Lyons 1904, 166-8)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions