Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Crail, General

Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Crail, General

Classification Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 35332

Site Number NO60NW 28

NGR NO 6100 0700

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/35332

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Crail
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO60NW 28 6100 0700.

The only evidence that Crail was a burgh under David I is to be dismissed. Crail first appears as a burgh in the hands of the countess Ada, mother of Malcolm IV, in 1165 x 1171. Crail fell to the crown on her death in 1178.

G S Pryde 1965.

NO 61 07. A watching brief of mains drainage works throughout the burgh continued (DES 1997, 35). Works were concentrated in Nethergate and Tollbooth Wynd. Principal discoveries comprised identification of culverts and structures associated with the King's Mills. The surviving remains of the mills, on the seabank at NO 6136 0751, were partially excavated in advance of works associated with the pumping station.

Sponsor: East of Scotland Water Authority.

C Lowe 1998.

Architecture Notes

INFORMATION TAKEN FROM THE ARCHITECTURE CATALOGUE:

REFERENCE:

SMT Magazine for May 1950 - Article and Photographs

Activities

Watching Brief (January 1997 - February 1999)

NO 61 07. A watching brief of mains drainage works throughout the burgh continued (DES 1997, 35). Works were concentrated in Nethergate and Tollbooth Wynd. Principal discoveries comprised identification of culverts and structures associated with the King's Mills. The surviving remains of the mills, on the seabank at NO 6136 0751, were partially excavated in advance of works associated with the pumping station.

Sponsor: East of Scotland Water Authority.

C Lowe 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions