Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Street scene in Crail

SC 388590

Description Street scene in Crail

Collection Records of A Brown and Company, photographers, Lanark, South Lanarkshire, Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 388590

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of F 5450

Scope and Content General view of Crail, Fife Crail was created a royal burgh in 1310, with a royal castle just to the east of the burgh. Fishing was the main industry in the town throughout its history, but this declined during the 19th century, and the town now relies on tourism. This shows part of Crail in c.1885. Mostly two- and three-storeyed, the buildings display many traditional features, such as crowstepped gables, external forestairs to first-floor level, and whitewashed harling to protect the stone from salty seaspray. In 1961, Nos 5 and 6 Rumford, Crail were the first houses to be restored under The National Trust for Scotland's 'Little Houses Improvement Scheme'. This scheme has funded restoration work on many houses in Crail, and indeed, across Scotland. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions