Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Camus's Cross

Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cross (Period Unassigned), Dagger (Bronze), Food Vessel, Mount (Gold)

Site Name Camus's Cross

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cross (Period Unassigned), Dagger (Bronze), Food Vessel, Mount (Gold)

Alternative Name(s) Camuston; Camus Cross; Camustane; Panmure Estates; Camus's Cross; Camustane Hill

Canmore ID 34552

Site Number NO53NW 3

NGR NO 51962 37907

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34552

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Monikie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO53NW 3 5196 3791.

(NO 5196 3791) Tumulus (NR) (Site of)

Camus's Cross (NR)

OS 6" map (1923)

The Camus Cross (Class III), 6' high and sculptured, stood on a small tumulus which was opened by Sir Patrick Maule about 1620, and found to contain a skeleton, bowl-shaped food vessel, and a broad, oval gold ring which Anderson suggests was a pommel mount for a bronze dagger, comparable with that found at Gask Hill, Collessie (NO21SE 14); the urn and ring are in Brechin Castle.

A J Warden 1881; J Anderson 1886; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

Activities

Field Visit (3 June 1958)

This cross stands on a small (? modern) mound measuring 7.5m E-W x 4.4m x 1.0m high. Facing E-W, it measures 2.0m high with arms 0.8m across; it is 0.2m thick. The sculptures are best preserved on the E face and N and S sides; it is weathered on the W face, but the symbols are still discernible.

The tumulus was probably cleared away when making the avenue.

Visited by OS (JLD) 3 June 1958.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions