Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, South Street, The Parish Church Of The Holy Trinity

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (15th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name St Andrews, South Street, The Parish Church Of The Holy Trinity

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (15th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Church Square; Church Street; Logie's Lane; Town Kirk; War Memorials; Books Of Remembrance

Canmore ID 34347

Site Number NO51NW 6

NGR NO 50917 16665

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34347

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 6 50917 16665

For adjacent skeletal discoveries see NO51NW 104 and NO51NW 105.

(NO 5091 1665) Town Ch. (NAT)

OS 25" map (1914)

The parish church of St Andrews, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, dates from 1412 but has been almost entirely rebuilt, the last reconstruction dating from 1907-9 (For site of earlier parish church see NO51NW 17.) It was originally cruciform with an aisled choir and nave and a tower at the northwest angle. The tower, as well as the two western arches and some of the piers of the nave arcade, are incorporated in the new structure.

The church contains the monument to James Sharp Archbishop of

St Andrews, who was murdered on Magus Moor on 3rd May 1679 (See Fife 8 SE 2).

RCAHMS 1933

The tower of this Church is the only old portion remaining externally. The church is in use for public worship.

Visited by OS (JLD) 16 October 1956

As described above.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 28 May 1964

Remains of three individuals were recovered during rebuilding at the Star Hotel. Workmen stated that they had found others, one at least being undisturbed. These burials lay along the N edge of Trinity Parish church Burial ground, and show the burial ground extended some 2 to 2.5m N of the present property boundary. Sherds and glass fragments were found round the perimeter of the Star Hotel property and above the burials. All were in secondary positions and indicate disturbance of earlier domestic activity.

E Proudfoot 1982; St Andrews Citizen, 22 October 1982

NO 5093 1668 Workmen uncovered disturbed human bones from the old graveyard on the north side of Trinity Parish Church, below the road surface, at Church Square.

E Proudfoot 1988.

NO 5088 1666 Trial/rescue excavation in advance of pedestrianisation at Logie's Lane, uncovered human skeletons belonging to the parish church in 1412. The pedestrianisation scheme has been redesigned to avoid further disturbance.

Sponsor: SDD HBM, SUAT.

P Holdsworth and D Bowler 1989.

NO 509 166 Disarticulated human bone was recovered from a gas pipe trench on the N side of the church.

R Cachart 1990.

Sir John Lindsay petitioned the Pope in 1433 that he might found and endow a college of secular canons in this church. This was conditional on the patronage of the church being transferred from the priory (NO51NW 2) to himself. Doubtless because of opposition from the priory, the scheme came to nothing.

I B Cowan and D E Easson 1976.

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 6 50917 16665

ARCHITECT: Robert Balfour, rebuilt 1798-1800

Dr Peter McGregor Chalmers 1907-9 (Restoration)

John Lessels - plans for internal rest. - not executed

James Salisbury? whether designed or superintended the erection of the gallery.

REFERENCE:

SCOTTISH RECORD OFFICE:

1718

St Andrews, Town Church. Extracts of proceedings relating to repairs partly financed out of archbishopric of St Andrews (3 items):

1. Accounts of Bailie Robert Syme, factor for reparation of kirk, 1701-18, audited 8 May 1719.

2. Acts of presbytery of St Andrews concerning repairs, including tradesmen's estimates, 30 April - 20 May 1718.

3. Minuters of committee concerning funds for repairs and application to barons of exchequer for sums payable out of archbishopric, 20-26 May 1718.

SRO/E342/23

1789

St Andrews, Town Church. Printed petition by magistrates and others against Lord Hailes' interlocutor concerning division of church (incomplete).

SRO/E342/26

1793-1802

St Andrews, Town Church. Letters and papers relating to petitions (E.301/24/2-4) for rebuilding church and related matters (11 items), including

1. General estimate for building new church and session house, 13 Nov. 1793.

3. Letter from Principal George Hill, St Andrews, to James Baird, exchequer office, concerning petition from general meeting of those interested in church, 2 Dec. 1793.

5. Extract minutes of meeting of heritors and others concerning rebuilding church, 6. Jan. 1794.

6. Letter from Principal Hill on consequences of delay in starting work, 28 Jan. 1794.

10. Letter from early of Kellie, provost of St Andrews, acknowledging barons' permission to use king's seat as magistrates' seat, 14 March 1801.

SRO/E342/27

In His Majesty's General Register House, Record Office, Edinburgh, are preserved four drawings of the Town Church, St. Andrews.

These are:-

1. Plan by David Malcolm, S.T.S., 1786, of the Seats. Engraved by William Bell, Land Surveyor in Edinburgh. Scale 8 feet to 1 inch.

2. Plan by David Malcolm, S.T.S., 1786, of the intended alterations on the Lofts of the Church. Engraved as last. Scale as last.

3. Plan of the intended alteration of the ground floor of the Church. Sclae 8 feet to 1 inch. No date.

4. Plan of the intended alterations on the Galleries of the Church. Scale as last. No date.

Reference "16 B...616, 617, 618 and 619".

Activities

Antiquarian Observation (1857 - 1861)

Mason's marks from Scottish churches, abbeys and castles recorded between 1857 and 1861 on 29 drawings in the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Collection.

Publication Account (1981)

The Parish Church of Holy Trinity was granted to the priory of St. Andrews, c.1163, although before that date it pertained to the Culdees. Of the original structure, only the tower, spire, two western bays and certain piers of the nave arcade survive. It was originally a cruciform structure, with an aisled choir, nave and tower at the north-west angle (RCAM, 1933, 226). In 1797 the church was said to be in a very ruinous state, although the town council was reluctant to foot the bill. The case eventually went to the Court of Session which decided against the town. On inspection, only a few pillars were found stable along with the tower and thus the church was almost wholly rebuilt (Roger, 1849, 98). The west windows, for example, are almost certain to be copies of the original, for they inspired the designers of St. Machar’s Cathedral, Old Aberdeen. Another detailed restoration was undertaken in 1908-9. Among the features of the church is a consecration cross and a memorial to the assassinated Archbishop Sharpe (1679).

Information from ‘Historic St Andrews: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1981).

Excavation (1989)

NO 5088 1666 Trial/rescue excavation in advance of pedestrianisation at Logie's Lane, uncovered human skeletons belonging to the parish church in 1412. The pedestrianisation scheme has been redesigned to avoid further disturbance.

Sponsor: SDD HBM, SUAT.

P Holdsworth and D Bowler 1989.

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions