Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, 1 South Street, The Roundel

House (16th Century)

Site Name St Andrews, 1 South Street, The Roundel

Classification House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 34297

Site Number NO51NW 18

NGR NO 51295 16675

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/34297

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 18 51295 16675

(NO 5129 1667) "The Roundle. This house, forming the north-east corner of South Street, dates from the later 16th or the 17th century. It is three-storied and has an angle stair-tower surmounted by a balustrade, said to have been composed of tomb balusters removed from the churchyard. On the east gable is an armorial panel "bearing the arms of Prior James, Haldenstoun (1419 -1443). "The stone must have been taken from some earlier building."

RCAHMS 1933

This building, as described above, is completely restored, and in use as a private residence.

Visited by OS (JLD) 17 October 1956

Above confirmed.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 28 May 1964

Activities

Standing Building Recording (November 2002 - March 2003)

An archaeological watching brief and recording of building works was carried out at The Roundel, 1 South Street, St Andrews, between November 2002 and March 2003. The works were associated with renovation of the property by St Andrews University. The work was commissioned by James F Stephen Architects.

The observations made during therenovations generally confirm what was already known about the building, but add interesting details and questions, in particular regarding the history of the round tower, and the possibility of other early appendages to the building. The renovations have generally left the structural detail and history of the building more visible than it was before, especially on the South Street façade and in the roof space.

The service trenches were of very limited impact, and did not on this occasion produce any significant information. However, any future repairs or renewals to services and paving might prove very interesting. In particular, any excavations along the South Street pavement might reveal earlier phases of the South Street façade and main entrance, buried in the subsequent build-up of ground level. Any excavations around the foundations of the tower and its junction with the main building would also be very interesting.

Inside the building, any future excavations in the ground floor main entrance hall would be very interesting, as they might reveal a build up of earlier floor levels sealing earlier phases of the front entrance.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions