Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cambus O' May, Suspension Bridge

Suspension Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cambus O' May, Suspension Bridge

Classification Suspension Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cambus O' May Hotel; River Dee

Canmore ID 33994

Site Number NO49NW 26

NGR NO 42078 97610

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/33994

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NO49NW 26 42078 97610

For comparable suspension bridge (also presented by Mr Gordon) at Polhollick (NO 3438 9651), see NO39NW 5.

(Location cited as NO 421 977). Suspension footbridge, Cambus o' May: built 1905 by engineers James Abernethy and Co., Aberdeen; presented by Mr Alexander Gordon, Southwood, Hildenborough, Kent. A light lattice-truss span supported by steel-wire-rope main cables and suspenders with lattice-girder pylons with ball finials.

J R Hume 1977a.

(Suspension bridge of wire rope and truss deck type: location cited as NO 421 977). Built 1905 by James Abernethy and Co, engineers. Lattice-girder pylons, wire-rope cables, rod suspenders, lattice truss span. Public footbridge, presented by Alexander Gordon, Southwood, Hildenborough, Kent.

J R Hume 1977b.

(Location cited as NO 421 976). Cambus o'May, beside the A93 is a white painted suspension footbridge; it was refurbished in 1988 by Kincardine and Deeside District Council, having fallen into a partly ruinous state.

Built in 1905, it was a gift to the area by Mr Alexander Gordon, from Kent; it was designed by James Abernethy, of Aberdeen. Steel rope cables curve down from the tapered lattice pylons which have ball finials. A lattice truss with sides 46ins [1.24m] high carries the wooden deck which is 4ft [1.2m] wide. The suspender rods are bolted into the top member of this truss, and the cable comes down to within 7ins [178mm] of this.

The charm of this light bridge is completed by the entrances. One side has an unusual swing gate, and the other a turnstile with a tall pole; old photographs reveal that the roadside entrance has been changed. There was once a steep flight of steps up to the road.

G Nelson 1990.

Visible on air photographs AAS/93/11/G22/19-20. Copies held by Grampian Regional Council.

Information from M Greig, Grampian Regional Council, March 1994.

This bridge carries a footpath across the River Dee.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 22 August 1997.

Originally built by James Abernethy in 1905, the bridge was re-opened in 1988 by Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother following extensive refurbishment. At the time of a RCAHMS photograph survey in 2000, there were proposals to add clamps to the suspension cables to prevent slippage of the hangers.

Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), October 2000.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: James Abernethy and Company, (Engineer), 1905.

Photographed in 2000 in adavance of the attachment of clamps to the suspension cables.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), October 2000

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions