Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Drumcarrow Craig

Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric), Flake(S) (Flint), Knife (Flint)

Site Name Drumcarrow Craig

Classification Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric), Flake(S) (Flint), Knife (Flint)

Canmore ID 32971

Site Number NO41SE 2

NGR NO 454 133

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32971

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Cameron
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO41SE 2 c.454 133.

(A: NO 4547 1325; B: NO 4549 1324; C: NO 4550 1326; D: NO 4550 1327) Hut Circles (NR)

OS 25" map (1966)

An unenclosed settlement, comprising at least three stone-walled houses, occupies an elevated, but not markedly defensive, position on Drumcarrow Craig.

'A', the largest and best preserved, appeared, before excavation, as a penannular grass-covered bank about 1' in maximum height and 5' thick, enclosing an area 24' x 27'. Several large boulders belonging to the inner or outer face of the house wall projected through the turf in places, and the entrance, on the E, appeared to be about 6' in width. 'B', 40' E of 'A', appears to have been similar in construction, but is less well-preserved. It is represented by a slightly dished circular area c. 20' in diameter, with several large facing stones around the circumference.

'C', 20' NE of 'B', is similar to 'B' in size and and condition.

'D': To the N of 'B', and set on a little rocky shelf somewhat above

the level of the rest of the settlement, is a sub-circular platform, which may mark the site of a fourth house. This, however, resembles the stance of a timber hut rather than the ruins of a stone structure. Excavations were carried out on hut 'A' in 1962-3. They revealed a 6'

to 7' thick wall, consisting of massive inner and outer facing stones with a rubble core, enclosing an area 24' in diameter.

On the NE, lying against the outer face of the house wall are the vestiges of a rectilinear enclosure; all that remains is the W angle with two adjacent sides represented by boulders or massive stone

blocks. Most of the native pottery found came from within this enclosure, and it may possibly represent a working area similar to the 'kiln-house' discovered beside the aisled round house of Tigh Talamanta, Barra (NF60SE 2). As well as the 18 pottery fragments found (one of which is in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland {NMAS} - Accession no: HD 1840), a flint knife and flakes, and various hammer- or grinding-stones, were found. The finds are insufficient to date the house with any degree of accuracy, though

a date well into the 3rd century AD is suggested by comparison with other sites.

G S Maxwell 1969

Activities

Field Visit (17 June 1954)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

Reference (1957)

This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii).

Information from RCAHMS (GFG), 24 October 2012.

Field Visit (22 May 1974)

The settlement is generally as described by Maxwell. The interior of the excavated hut circle 'A' remains open, but the exterior excavations have been backfilled, and the rectilinear enclosure is not visible.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (DWR) 22 May 1974.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions