Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Polhollick, Suspension Bridge

Suspension Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Polhollick, Suspension Bridge

Classification Suspension Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Polhollick Footbridge; River Dee; Newton Of Gairn; Dalbagie

Canmore ID 32466

Site Number NO39NW 5

NGR NO 34381 96519

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32466

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Glenmuick, Tullich And Glengairn
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NO39NW 5 34381 96519

FB

Path [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1971.

For comparable suspension bridge (also presented by Mr Gordon) at Cambus O' May (NO 4207 9761), see NO49NW 26.

(Suspension bridge of wire rope and truss deck type: location cited as NO 343 966). Built 1892 by James Abernethy and Co., Ferryhill Foundry, Aberdeen, engineers. Lattice-girder pylons, wire-rope cables, rod suspenders, lattice-girder span. Span about 170 ft (52m). Public footbridge, presented by Alexander Gordon, Southwood, Hildenborough, Kent.

J R Hume 1977b.

(Location cited as NO 344 965). Polhollick: this suspension footbridge is situated 2 miles W of Ballater, and built in 1892. Like that at Cambus O' May (NO49NW 26) it is a gift of Mr Gordon. Set in a more open situation, it has been been built a little more sturdily, and with less charm. The lattice cables are finished with a tooth-edged cross girder above a metal arch. The cables, of steel rope, are stayed by cross bars which give a ladder-like effect from a distance; the abutments are lozenge-shaped.

G Nelson 1990.

This short bridge carries a footpath across the River Dee to the NE of Polhollick farmstead. The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 10 January 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

Polhollick Footbridge, Bridge of Gairn

A suspension bridge of 180 ft span over the Dee made and erected by James Abernethy & Co., Aberdeen in 1892. Its deck, stiffened by lattice truss parapets, is suspended from steel wire-rope cables supported on latticed towers.

A similar footbridge of 165 ft span by J. Abernethy & Co. was erected in 1905 at Cambus o’ May (NO 4210 9770). They are both good examples of the generation of suspension bridges constructed in north-east Scotland from 1890 to 1925.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions