Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 688518

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes


NO39NW 5 34381 96519


Path [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1971.

For comparable suspension bridge (also presented by Mr Gordon) at Cambus O' May (NO 4207 9761), see NO49NW 26.

(Suspension bridge of wire rope and truss deck type: location cited as NO 343 966). Built 1892 by James Abernethy and Co., Ferryhill Foundry, Aberdeen, engineers. Lattice-girder pylons, wire-rope cables, rod suspenders, lattice-girder span. Span about 170 ft (52m). Public footbridge, presented by Alexander Gordon, Southwood, Hildenborough, Kent.

J R Hume 1977b.

(Location cited as NO 344 965). Polhollick: this suspension footbridge is situated 2 miles W of Ballater, and built in 1892. Like that at Cambus O' May (NO49NW 26) it is a gift of Mr Gordon. Set in a more open situation, it has been been built a little more sturdily, and with less charm. The lattice cables are finished with a tooth-edged cross girder above a metal arch. The cables, of steel rope, are stayed by cross bars which give a ladder-like effect from a distance; the abutments are lozenge-shaped.

G Nelson 1990.

This short bridge carries a footpath across the River Dee to the NE of Polhollick farmstead. The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 10 January 2006.

People and Organisations