Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kingoldrum Parish Church

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Font (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kingoldrum Parish Church

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Font (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Parish Kirk

Canmore ID 32254

Site Number NO35NW 3

NGR NO 33416 55039

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32254

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Kingoldrum
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO35NW 3.00 33416 55039

NO35NW 3.01 NO 334 550 Pictish Cross-Slab

NO35NW 3.02 NO 334 550 Cross-Slab

NO35NW 3.03 NO 334 550 Sculptured Stone

NO35NW 3.04 NO 334 550 Grave-Slab

See also NO35NW 4, NO35NW 5, NO35NW 6.

The present Kingoldrum parish church was built in 1840, almost on the site of its predecessor. The church, which was given to Arbroath Abbey in 1211-4 by William the Lion, was dedicated to St Medan; not far from it is St Medan's Well. There is little doubt that originally it was a Celtic establishment; three fragments of sculptured stones which were found in the walls of the old church when it was being removed in 1840, were donated to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS] in 1878 (Accession Nos: GB 39-41). (For other finds in the churchyard, see NO35NW 4-6.)

A J Warden 1880-5; H Scott et al 1915-61; J Stuart 1856; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1878; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

The parish church of Kingoldrum, built in 1840, stands 'almost on the same site' as its predecessor in the burial-ground at Kingoldrum. The church of Kingoldrum comes on record in 1178, although there was probably an ecclesiastical foundation here prior to that date (RCAHMS 1983).

NSA 1845; A J Warden 1880-5; G Hay 1957; I B Cowan 1967; RCAHMS 1983; 1984

Activities

Field Visit (12 November 1975)

There is no trace of a church earlier than the present 19th century structure. A complete, Early Christian, stone coffin cover, with a wheel-headed cross incised upon it, was formerly lying in the graveyard, and is now set up against the S wall of the church.

According to Mr Mackintosh, session clerk, St Medan's Well (name verified) was a spring well situated on a hill-slope "some 50yds S of the cottage of the SW of the church (area: NO 333 549). The ground was improved within living memory, and there is now no trace of the well.

Visited by OS (NKB) 12 November 1975; Information from D Mackintosh, Broadmuir, Kingoldrum, Angus.

Standing Building Recording (13 November 2017)

NO 33421 55041 A Level 1 standing building survey was

carried out, 13 November 2017, during the conversion of

the church to form a caretaker’s house. The interior of the

church has been redeveloped but the exterior is unchanged.

The church was originally built in 1840 and porches added

prior to the 1st Edition OS map, A boiler house was then

added to the E end prior to the 2nd Edition OS map.

Archive: NRHE

Funder: Clag Ltd

Alison Cameron – Cameron Archaeology

(Source: DES, Volume 19)

Oasis (camerona1-302684) 4 January 2018

External Reference

Kingoldrum Church

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office:

Repairs to the church of Kingoldrum and the Manse of Cortachy. 2 receipts.

1822 GD 16/46/87

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office:

Repair of Church and Manse.

Receipt for Colonel Fothringham's proportion of the expense.

1809 GD 121/3/134

Repair and maintenance of Church and Manse. Receipts, accounts, presbytery minutes and other papers.

1826, 1839-1870 GD 16/46/96

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions