Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Castleton Of Eassie

Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Moated Site (Medieval), Coin(S)

Site Name Castleton Of Eassie

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Moated Site (Medieval), Coin(S)

Alternative Name(s) Castleton Farm; Castleton, Site Of Castle

Canmore ID 32134

Site Number NO34NW 5

NGR NO 3330 4662

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/32134

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Eassie And Nevay
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO34NW 5 3330 4662.

See also NO34NW 3619 5809 Castleton House

(NO 3330 4662) Castleton on Site of (NAT) Fort (NR)

OS 6"map, Angus, 2nd ed., (1903)

This is an undoubtedly Medieval (O G S Crawford 1949) rectangular earthwork at Castleton. Its entrance is to the SE, and the two remaining sides are bounded by a deep ditch. On the NE, the ditch is broad, and 12' to 14' deep, with a 3' high internal rampart. It is shallower to the SE. On the SW, the earthwork is effaced by a house and garden, while on the NW, there is a steep scarp down to a stream, but no ditch. Some Edward I coins and a spearhead have been found here. (New Statistical Account (NSA] 1845)

NSA 1845; D Christison 1900; O G S Crawford 1949.

This earthwork is obviously medieval, but the ditch measures no less than 50' wide, and would seem to be too substantial for a homestead moat. Probably the work represents a castle site, like Sir John de Graham's castle (NS68NE 1).

Information from RCAHMS typescript, visited 1956.

The remains of a dry medieval 'castle' moat, generally as described by Christison except that the "rampart" on the NE is obviously the result of landscaping and the counterscarp on the NE is mutilated by a modern footpath.

Visited by OS (W D J) 16 December 1969.

The impressive earthworks within which the farmhouse of Castleton of Eassie stands are probably the remains of a medieval castle. A rectangular mound, its summit measuring 89m from NE to SW by 67m transversely, is flanked on the NE and SE by a ditch up to 15m broad and 5m deep with an internal bank on the NE, whilst on the NW and SW the sides of the mound have been scarped and on the NW additional protection is afforded by a burn; a causeway across the ditch on the SE may be original.

Statistical Account (OSA) 1795; NSA 1845; D Christison 1900; RCAHMS 1984.

This rectangular enclosure is thought to be a defended medieval site. Test pits in a 20m by 30m area of the enclosure adjacent to the SW side of the modern house failed to locate any archaeological features although the pre-19th century ground surface had survived garden landscaping. Coring of the ditch on the SE side found c0.1m of sediment over sandstone bedrock.

Sponsor: HBM.

S Carter 1990e.

Activities

Field Visit (6 August 1956)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions