Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.


King's Seat

Cairn (Prehistoric), Triangulation Pillar (20th Century)

Site Name King's Seat

Classification Cairn (Prehistoric), Triangulation Pillar (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Balloleys

Canmore ID 30662

Site Number NO23SW 11

NGR NO 23059 33008

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Cargill
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO23SW 11 2306 3300

(NO 2306 3300) Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

A cairn on the summit of the hill called Kings Seat. No other information but traditionally (T Pennant 1772) supposed to have been used by Macbeth as a watch-tower.

OS Name Book 1865.


Field Visit (5 February 1969)

This cairn is a circular, flat-topped, turf- covered, stony mound, 22.0m in diameter and 2.3m max height, somewhat mutilated on its north-west side and surmounted by a triangulation pillar.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (WDJ), 5 February 1969.

Field Visit (5 April 1989)

Situated on the summit of King's Seat (377m OD) and surmounted by an OS triangulation pillar, there are the remains of a cairn measuring about 20m in diameter and 1.8m in height. The centre has been robbed and the N side disturbed, but several kerbstones on the SW appear to be in situ. Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 5 April 1989.

Field Visit (14 April 2017)

This redundant concrete OS triangulation pillar stands on a concrete base on top of a prehistoric cairn on the summit of King’s Seat. It measures 0.62m square at foot, tapering to 0.37m square at the top at a height of 1.21m. The corners of the pillar are chamfered and the top is flat. A brass flush bracket on the S face bears the legend ‘OS BM S1619’: the top of the pillar houses a brass bracket and hoops that were once used to secure a theodolite.

Visited by HES, Survey and Recording (JRS) 14 April 2017.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions