Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Evelick Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Evelick Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Of Evelick

Canmore ID 30450

Site Number NO22NW 4

NGR NO 20387 25954

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30450

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kilspindie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO22NW 4 20387 25954.

(NO 2039 2595) Evelick Castle (NR) (rems of)

OS 6" map (1970)

Evelick Castle, a seat of the Lindsays, appears to date from the early 16th century. It is built on a variation of the L-plan, with two wings joining at their corners, and a semicircular stair-tower rising in the SW re-entrant. The walls rise three storeys to the wallhead, but the attic storey above has disappeared, save for the gunloops for its dormer windows. A feature of this castle is the great number of gunloops, there being one for almost every window-breast. There appear to have been two doorways, but possibly that in the N re-entrant is a later provision, although protected by gunloops. The main entrance is in the foot of the stair-tower. The basement has been vaulted, but this, with the floors above, has fallen in. Some of the windows have been enlarged. The fabric is not in a good condition, and is much broken down to W and S.

From traces of foundations it appears to have been of considerably larger dimensions than it now shows, and in the farm steading adjoining stones are utilised which have been taken from its walls. Tranter, however, notes that there have been extensive outbuildings.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887; N Tranter 1963

Photographed by the RCAHMS in 1980.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Evelick Castle.

Miscellaneous:

Dr.Thomas Ross. - Manuscript notes.

Activities

Field Visit (10 October 1963)

When seen in 1963, the remains of Evelick Castle were generally as described above. No traces could be seen of any foundations.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RDL) 10 October 1963.

Field Visit (June 1990)

Evelick Castle is a stepped L-plan tower-house of late 16th-century date. It consists of a main block and wing (11.2m by 7.35m and 6.3m by 6.2m respectively, over walls up to 1.3m thick at ground-floor level), and stands three storeys and an attic in height, with an entrance and stair extruded in a semi-circular tower in the SE re-entrant angle. The tower has been remodelled more than once and the provision of an additional two-storey range is indicated by tusking and openings in the E gable wall. A number of dressed stones, and the lintel for a fireplace, are incorporated in re-use in the early 18th-century farmhouse (now roofless) to the rear of the present steading, while in the steading itself, incorporated above a doorway, there is a dormer window pediment.

Evelick has been the property of the Lindsays since at least 1497.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) June 1990.

NSA 1845; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

Archaeological Evaluation (3 May 2011)

NO 20387 25954 An assessment was undertaken on 3 May 2011 of Evelick Castle. The aim of the work was to enhance and extend the analysis contained in plans of the structure produced by the RCAHMS. In addition to undertaking an assessment of the standing ruin a record was made of other ex situ architectural fragments. Many of these are incorporated into a ruined cottage to the NE of the existing farm complex. A revised ground floor plan was also surveyed.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Private clients

Addyman Archaeology, 2011

Photographic Survey

Photographic survey likely by the Ministry of Works pre 1960.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions