Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Abdie Old Parish Kirk

Church (13th Century), Commemorative Stone(S) (17th Century), Grave Slab (14th Century), Bell (17th Century), Effigy (15th Century)

Site Name Abdie Old Parish Kirk

Classification Church (13th Century), Commemorative Stone(S) (17th Century), Grave Slab (14th Century), Bell (17th Century), Effigy (15th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Magridin; Abdie Old Parish Church

Canmore ID 30063

Site Number NO21NE 8

NGR NO 25979 16350

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30063

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Abdie
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO21NE 8.00 25979 16350

NO21NE 8.01 NO 25951 16335 Gate; Buildings

(NO 2598 1634) Abdie Church (NR)

OS 6"map, (1959)

Abdie Old Parish Church, consecrated in 1242, was originally a narrow single-chambered structure 92 3/4' by 24 1/2' externally, but in 1661 an aisle, used as the burial place of the Balfours of Denmylne, was added and other additions were also made in the 17th century. It was abandoned, in favour of the modern church (at NO 2569 1666), in 1827, and was considerably restored in 1856.

The church was of Culdee origin (A Laing 1876), and dedicated to St Magridin but it would appear that there was a later dedication to the Virgin, the "High Altar of Our Lady of Abdie" being mentioned in 1555. It was given to Lindores Abbey about 1198, and was in use as the parish church till it was abandoned.

A Laing 1876; Fasti Eccles Scot 1915-61; RCAHMS 1933; I B Cowan 1967.

Abdie Church is as described and illustrated, and is in a good state of preservation. A 15th century effigy and a 14th century graveslab both found in the chancel of the church (Information from Rev W B Buchanan, The Manse, Abdie) lie in a small building close to the ruin.

Visited by OS (J L D) 29 October 1956.

No change. The 15th century effigy and the 14th century grave-slab are in the basement of the small building at NO 2595 1632.

Visted by OS (W D J) 13 May 1970.

Architecture Notes

Non-Guardianship Site Plan Collection DC23007.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions