Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ashintully House

House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Ashintully House

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Ashintully Castle; Ashintully House Policies

Canmore ID 29476

Site Number NO16SW 2

NGR NO 10119 61241

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/29476

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kirkmichael (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO16SW 2 10119 61241

(NO 1017 6123) Ashintully Castle {NAT}

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed. (1900)

NMRS REFERENCE:

Owner: Mrs Atkinson Clark.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Ashintully Castle is a comparatively small L-shaped fortalice of the late 16th century, to one wing of which was added a considerable extension a century or so later.

N Tranter 1963

NO 1011 6126. This castle, generally as described by Tranter, has been restored and is now in first class condition. Above the door is the date 1583. The owner (Mr Atkinson-Clark, Ashintully Castle) believes that the additions to the castle are late 18th century.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 11 April 1968

This 16th-century stepped L-plan tower-house stands within its policies 2.5 km to the NE of Kirkmichael.

The main block consists of three principal storeys and has a four-storeyed accommodation and stair-wing extruded on the SW. The entrance-doorway, above which there is an heraldic panel, is in the S re-entrant angle; the lintel is dated 1583. There are a number of horizontal gun-loops.

Stobie (1783) depicts the tower as ruinous. It was restored, remodelled and extended in the late 18th and 19th centuries. Part of an ornamented dormer pediment is incorporated in the S wall of an adjacent stable block.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) April 1987.

RCAHMS 1990.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions