Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Clunie, Castle Hill

Castle (Medieval), Earthwork (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Clunie, Castle Hill

Classification Castle (Medieval), Earthwork (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Hill, Clunie; Clunie Castle; Clunie Motte

Canmore ID 28970

Site Number NO14SW 5

NGR NO 11075 44030

NGR Description Centred NO 11075 44030

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28970

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Clunie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO14SW 5 Centred on NO 11075 44030

(NO 1107 4403) Castle Hill (NR)

(NO 1108 4399) Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Perthshire (1959)

For Clunie Castle (on Island of Clunie), see NO14SW 4.

A castle said to have been the summer palace of King Kenneth McAlpin in the 9th c stood on Castle Hill. The site would appear to have been a stronghold of some importance as it was occupied by Edward I in 1296, when a castle of the 1st Period (1200-1300) was erected.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889

Remains of this building are visible, comprising a mortared stone wall on the S end of the hill and a stone and earthen bank round the top. The slopes are covered with strip lynchets.

Information from O G S Crawford 17 May 1943

A Norman motte and bailey.

Information from M E C Stewart 2 February 1956

Occupying the level summit of Castle Hill (name verified), a natural knoll under pasture, are the tenuous remains of a stone-built castle. The main castle building is situated at the S extremity of the summit; the remains comprise five separate blocks of mortared wall core up to 2.0m high. No architectural features survive and the plan of the structure is uncertain; it appears to have been largely quarried away. Its position guarding an obvious entrance causeway up the S slopes of the hill suggests an enlarged gatehouse. Extending from the NW corner of the castle along the W edge of the summit are the turf-covered footings of a curtain wall, partly destroyed by quarrying. There is no evidence of it on the N and E sides. The summit measures circa 90.0m N-S by 40.0m; apart from the aforementioned castle, no other structure survives in the enclosed area though rank grass and nettle growth suggests buried foundations.

The castle has been further defended by a series of terraces cut into the side of the hill (see section). The lowest terrace on the N side may have been for cultivation as it is wider than the others, it does not form a cohesive part of the outer defences, and it is parallel with rig-and-furrow to the N at the base of the hill.

The building remains are indicative of a 13th c castle of enceinte. It was probably constructed on an earlier motte.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 14 November 1975

On the summit of Castle Hill, Clunie, there are the remains of a royal castle, which was probably a hunting lodge for the forest of Clunie. These comprise fragments of the wall-core of what has been probably quite a large building situated on the S side of the summit and possibly traces of a heavily-robbed and quarried curtain wall. Access to the castle was by means of a terraced trackway on the S. The sides of the hill are also terraced and, while some of these may be due to later landscaping or agricultural activity, it is possible that at least one is defensive in nature.

Clunie in Stormont, is on record in 849, and the royal seat from about 1141; in 1296 it was occupied by Edward I. Stone from the castle was used for the tower-house on the island in Lock of Clunie (NO14SW 4) and, in 1513, four men were employed for a year to clear the remaining rubble from the summit. The evidence for quarrying perhaps dates from this period.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) 17 May 1989.

Statistical Account (OSA); Dunkeld Rentale; MacGibbon and Ross 1889; A C Lawrie 1905; A O Anderson 1922; Reg Reg Scot; L Alcock 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions