Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Leys Of Marlee

Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Leys Of Marlee

Classification Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Alternative Name(s) Blairgowrie; Leys, Essendy Road

Canmore ID 28881

Site Number NO14SE 15

NGR NO 1599 4388

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28881

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kinloch
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO14SE 15 1599 4388.

(NO 1599 4388) Stone Circle (NR)

OS 6" map (1938)

Stone Circle, Leys Marlee: A fine group of megaliths now divided by a road (formerly a moorland track). In 1858, when the road was made, two stones, then prostrate, were raised to the vertical, but there was otherwise no distrubance. The stones vary from 4'6" to 5'11" in height.

F R Coles 1909

Generally as described, planned and illustrated by Coles.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 3 March 1969

A stone circle, generally as described and illustrated by Coles except that one stone (Coles' stone E) was recently hit by a lorry and displaced.

Revised at 1:2500

Visited by OS (NKB) 13 November 1975

May have to be moved.

Information from The Scotsman, 12 November 1979.

NMRS, B52912/NC.

This much-disturbed stone circle is cut by the public road (B947). It comprises six stones forming an oval or elliptical shape measuring 16m by 15m, however, only two of the stones are probably in their original positions, and the remainder have fallen and been re-erected.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 8 October 1986.

A Gibson 1988.

Activities

Field Visit (6 August 1942)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

Excavation (28 October 2008)

NO 1601 4386 (centred on) Work was carried out on 28 October 2008 and consisted of monitoring the removal of the stone, excavation of its socket and supervision of its replacement to its original orientation and position. The work was required because a lorry had accidently collided with and pushed over one of the stones. The excavation revealed that the stone had originally been tightly held in position by packing stones which were found on three sides of the stone socket. No other evidence of note was recorded. After excavation, the stone was replaced in its original position and wedged tightly into the socket using new packing stones.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: NFU Mutual

Tamlin Barton (SUAT Ltd), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions