Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newhall

Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Moated Site (Medieval)(Possible), Coin(S), Ring (Bronze)

Site Name Newhall

Classification Castle (Medieval)(Possible), Moated Site (Medieval)(Possible), Coin(S), Ring (Bronze)

Alternative Name(s) Kinrossie; Newhall Of Kinrossie; Newhall De Kinrossy

Canmore ID 28607

Site Number NO13SE 14

NGR NO 1865 3192

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28607

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Collace
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO13SE 14 1865 3192.

(NO 1865 3192) Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1959)

The ruins of this castle were standing about 6ft high when it was excavated c.1810 by a proprietor of Dunsinane. The strong walls were built with polished freestone, examples of which can be seen in the old church door (NO13SE 13). A Bronze ring and two 'ancient' copper coins were found.

It is referred to in the 'Records of Service' (in the General Registry Office, Edinburgh) as 'the Moat or Newhall of Kinrossie'.

Name Book 1864

There are no surviving remains of this castle, which stood on a slight spur, although there is a considerable scatter of building material in the immediate vicinity. No confirmation of the name was obtained and the present location of the finds is not known.

Visited by OS (RD) 17 February 1969

No remains can be identified in ploughed ground of the 'castle' that formerly stood on a knoll 280m NE of Newhall steading. A document of 1546 refers to a 'moat called Newhall of Kinrossie'.

In 1810, diggings into the monument recovered a bronze ring and two copper coins. The walls (which were apparently of ashlar) still stood 1.83m high at that date.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) December 1989.

OS Name Book; Reg Mag Sig.

Activities

Field Visit (1996 - 2003)

Russell Coleman managed an Historic Scotland funded project to record medieval moated sites in Scotland. Gazetteers were produced for each regional council area between 1996 and 2002 with an uncompleted overall review in 2002-03. The results of the first year of the project were published in Tayside and Fife Archaeological Journal, Volume 3 (1997).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions