Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 683183

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/683183

NO13SE 14 1865 3192.

(NO 1865 3192) Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1959)

The ruins of this castle were standing about 6ft high when it was excavated c.1810 by a proprietor of Dunsinane. The strong walls were built with polished freestone, examples of which can be seen in the old church door (NO13SE 13). A Bronze ring and two 'ancient' copper coins were found.

It is referred to in the 'Records of Service' (in the General Registry Office, Edinburgh) as 'the Moat or Newhall of Kinrossie'.

Name Book 1864

There are no surviving remains of this castle, which stood on a slight spur, although there is a considerable scatter of building material in the immediate vicinity. No confirmation of the name was obtained and the present location of the finds is not known.

Visited by OS (RD) 17 February 1969

No remains can be identified in ploughed ground of the 'castle' that formerly stood on a knoll 280m NE of Newhall steading. A document of 1546 refers to a 'moat called Newhall of Kinrossie'.

In 1810, diggings into the monument recovered a bronze ring and two copper coins. The walls (which were apparently of ashlar) still stood 1.83m high at that date.

Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) December 1989.

OS Name Book; Reg Mag Sig.

People and Organisations

References