Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Evelick

Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Fort (Period Unassigned), Pen (Period Unassigned), Track(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Evelick

Classification Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Fort (Period Unassigned), Pen (Period Unassigned), Track(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Pole Hill; Pitroddie Den

Canmore ID 28108

Site Number NO12NE 12

NGR NO 19930 25727

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/28108

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kilspindie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO12NE 12 199 257.

(NO 1997 2570) Fort (NR)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1901)

The fort is easily accessible from the plateau to the NW.

'A slight mound at the edge of the steep descents is sufficient protection for the sides that are so well defended by nature; but towards the E. where the ground is weakest, a scarp 7ft high falls on a terrace, and that again upon a second terrace, with a wide trench and two slight ramparts or mounds beyond. To the west there is a much longer scarp 10ft high, a single terrace 9ft wide and a trench and single mound beyond. The change from one system to the other takes place at what seems to have been the chief entrance which passes obliquely through the lines, but there was probably another where the lines end eastward at the steep face.'

D Christison 1900.

Situated at NO 1993 2572 this fort is generally as described by D Christison (1900) except that the weakest ground lies to the North and it is on this side that the series of terraces and ramparts are found, containing on the West side where there is an additional ditch outside the features described by D Christison (1900) here.

From interior to exterior, the maximum heights of the defences are as follows on the North:- First scarp 2.3m, second scarp 1.3m, first rampart (described as a terrace by OS 6"map) 0.6m internal and 2.0m external, second rampart 1.0m internal 1.0m external and the third rampart 1.0m internal and 0.2m external. The slight mound at the top of the natural slopes on the East and South never exceeds 0.2m in height. A gap of 3.0m in this mound in the South seems unlikely to have been an entrance in view of the steep slopes below it. A second slight mound also 0.2m high runs outside the other for a short distance in the SE. The interior of the fort is uneven but does not contain any obvious artificail feature; SE of the main entrance is a large,oval-shaped hollowed area, ill-defined, which may have been an internal feature of the fort. A natural knoll crowns the east side of the fort's interior. Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D L) 21 October 1963.

This is one of the forts on the SW extremity of the Sidlaw Hills. It is oval on plan, measuring about 250 ft (76m) by 200 ft (61m) within defences which are stronger towards the easy approach from the N, but are now entirely absent in the S, where the site is bordered by an extremenly steep slope to a burn. In the NW and N, there are up to five ramparts and ditches, all pierced by the entrance-causeway.

R W Feachem 1963.

This multi-period fort is situated at the SE angle of a prominent ridge, overlooking the N flank of Pitroddie Den. It is protected on the E and S by steep slopes, but on the N and W the approach is over gently undulating ground. Irregular on plan, the fort measures 107m by up to 78m within a rampart which, on the W, measures up to 8m in thickness and 2m in maximum height externally, but elsewhere it has been reduced by later activity to a low bank or a scarp. Defence in depth is provided on the N and W by the addition of four further ramparts, the outer two of which are accompanied by inner ditches. There are three entrances; the N and S gateways are approached by tracks, and the N passage is partially stone-lined. At the W entrance, however, the outer pair of defence lines continue unbroken across the gaps in the ramparts (which have been partially blocked). This indicates that there are at least two phases in the defences, with the two outermost being added to an earlier defensive system.

The positions of several round timber houses can be identified within the interior, where a modern quarry-scoop (on the E) has been approached by a trackway from the N entrance and a recent subrectangular structure occupies the highest point. The most prominent of the round houses is of ring-ditch type, measures about 14m in diameter over all and is situated centrally within the interior; low crescentic scarps indicate the positions of several other round houses. A field bank overlies the inner rampart on the S, and, on the W, a two-compartment enclosure has been built over the middle rampart. Several trackways of unknown date give access to the N and E of the fort.

Visited by RCAHMS (SH/AW) June 1992.

Activities

Field Visit (20 July 1956)

Fort, Evelick

A multivallate earthen ramparted fort like Dumglow, Fife. There are five ramparts and ditches on the weakest (N) side but only one on the S and E. Christison's plan (1900, 56) is accurate so far as the W and N sides are concerned but the narrow ramparts shown on the other two sides are merely late turf dykes.

Visited by RCAHMS (KAS) 20 July 1956

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions