Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Monzie

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Kerb Cairn (Prehistoric), Unidentified Pottery (Neolithic)

Site Name Monzie

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Kerb Cairn (Prehistoric), Unidentified Pottery (Neolithic)

Canmore ID 25447

Site Number NN82SE 26

NGR NN 8816 2417

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/25447

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Crieff
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN82SE 26 8816 2417.

(NN 8816 2417) Cairn Circle (NR)

OS 6" map (1959)

Described as a cairn circle (OS 6" map annotated by O G S Crawford, 9 June 1936) or a stone circle (R W Feachem 1963); referred by the excavators to the last stage of Callander's typology of Megalithic monuments where the cairn is dispensed with and only the circle is left (J G Callander 1928).

Before the excavation of 1938 nine stones formed a rough circle of 17ft diameter defined by a slight grassy ridge (F R Coles 1911), the highest showing little more than 2ft above the turf. Two of the stones (A and B on plan) were found not to be part of the original work and another was carved with deep cups and connecting channels. A cup and ring marked outlier was connected to the circle by a causeway. A rudimentary cist placed eccentrically within the circle contained burnt bone and fragments of quartz. No evidence of a ditch was found.

Two fragments of Old Keig ware were thought by the excavators to date the site to the Iron Age with a native late Bronze Age tradition. This should perhaps be treated with reserve. At the recumbent stone circle of Old Keig the original report (V G Childe 1934) reached a similar conclusion which Childe (1938) later revised in view of the excavations at Loanhead of Daviot where Beaker sherds were found.

A Young and M C Mitchell 1939

Generally as described above although stones A and B have been removed. In addition to the outlier, nine stones still stand, but most of the numerous small stones shown in the plan are no longer evident.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 12 December 1966

This cairn is defined by a kerb 5.5m in diameter, composed of ten stones up to 0.85m high, the three largest being set close together on the WSW. No cairn material was visible within the kerb, although the ground was overgrown with nettles and other weeds. A stone slab lies 3m to the SW, measuring 2.5m in length by 1.5m in breadth, the upper face of which bears about 60 cups, each with up to 4 rings. The largest ring measures 400mm in diameter and the cups are up to 40mm deep. Two cups have radial grooves and one dumbell was also noted.

(EARN96 219-220)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 24 September 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions