Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auchenlaich

Fort (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Auchenlaich

Classification Fort (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Brackland Glen

Canmore ID 24330

Site Number NN60NW 10

NGR NN 6494 0786

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24330

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Callander
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60NW 10 6494. 0786.

(NH 646 082) A round castle, much larger than Callander Castle (NN60NW 8), once stood on the farm of Auchinlaich, on a hill a few hundred yards S from the Bridge of Bracklinn, and on the W bank of the Kelty river. Little now remains, except the levelling of the top of the hill and a slight indication of what was once an earthen rampart and ditch. "The area of the fort must have much exceeded 100 feet".

C Maclagan 1873.

This fort, oval on plan, and measuring 90m NW-SE by 58m transversely, is situated at NN 6494 0786, on top of a low rounded hill over-looking the Brackland Glen. The defences consist of a single earth rampart, generally reduced to a scarp, but best preserved on the NW where it is 3.5m in height. Traces of an outer ditch, about 0.4m in depth, can be seen on on the NW and SE sides; and in each of these sides there is an entrance, the SE being marked by a large boulder. This fort is similar in all aspects to NN60SW 8 (Tamnafalioch) and NN60SE 3 (Easter Torrie). Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 15 October 1968.

NN 649 078 This fort measures about 90m by 60m within a single rampart which stands up to 3.5m above the bottom of an external ditch.

RCAHMS 1979, visited December 1977

OSA 1797; C Maclagan 1873

Scheduled as Auchenlaich, fort.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 26 November 2003.

Activities

Note (5 December 2014 - 18 May 2016)

Situated on a low rounded hill, this fort measures about 90m from NW to SE by 60m transversely (0.42ha) within a single rampart with an external ditch, though the latter is visible only on the NW and SE. There are also entrances in these quarters, where the crest of the rampart stands up to 3.5m above the bottom of the ditch. The interior, which has been under deciduous woodland, is featureless.

Information from An Atlas of Hillforts of Great Britain and Ireland – 18 May 2016. Atlas of Hillforts SC2613

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions