Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Ballachulish, Ballachulish House

Lairds House (18th Century)

Site Name South Ballachulish, Ballachulish House

Classification Lairds House (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ballachulish House

Canmore ID 23555

Site Number NN05NW 2

NGR NN 04806 59215

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/23555

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lismore And Appin (Lochaber)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Ballachulish House, from later 18th century Replacing the earlier seat of the Stewarts of Ballachulish, destroyed in 1746, this typically plain, harled laird's house was originally Uplan (one wing was demolished after 1872). The front range, added c.1800, reorientated the house to face west and created a double pile centre block. Internal finishes mostly 19th century; improvements by Simpson & Brown Architects, 1992-3 and 1997. A marriage lintel dated 1692 is incorporated into the bothy wall.

[It was while quartered at Ballachulish House in February 1692 that Major Robert Duncanson wrote a letter to Captain Robert Campbell of Glenlyon (under the direction of John Dalrymple, Master of Stair, endorsed by King William) ordering him to 'fall upon the rebels the Macdonalds of Glencoe, and putt all to the sword under seventy'.]

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NN05NW 2.00 04806 59215

NN05NW 2.01 04817 59193 Bothy

NN05NW 2.02 04833 59270 Walled Garden

(NN 0480 5922) Ballachulish House (NAT).

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

This house comprises a two-storied main block, a north wing of the same height and a south kitchen-wing incorporating one main storey and a garret. The main block comprises two distinct ranges of buildings, roofed independently of each other, and each measuring 16.5 metres overall. The east range is probably the nucleus of the present house and probably dates from about 1764. The west range appears to date from about 1799, whilst the north wing and the south kitchen-wing probably date from the first half of the 19th century. The interior of the house has been considerably re-modelled.

SDD state that an original house, in which the decision on the date for the Massacre of Glencoe was made in 1692, was burned down by Hanoverian soldiers in 1746. Until about 1880, Ballachulish House was the seat of the Stewarts of Ballachulish.

RCAHMS 1975, visited June 1971; SDD 1960-

A plain, restored house as described.

Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.

Visited by OS (D W R) 17 November 1971.

Architecture Notes

Owner, Ballachulish Estate Co., per W. F. Haldane, Edinburgh

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions