Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 676150

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/676150

NN05NW 2.00 04806 59215

NN05NW 2.01 04817 59193 Bothy

NN05NW 2.02 04833 59270 Walled Garden

(NN 0480 5922) Ballachulish House (NAT).

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

This house comprises a two-storied main block, a north wing of the same height and a south kitchen-wing incorporating one main storey and a garret. The main block comprises two distinct ranges of buildings, roofed independently of each other, and each measuring 16.5 metres overall. The east range is probably the nucleus of the present house and probably dates from about 1764. The west range appears to date from about 1799, whilst the north wing and the south kitchen-wing probably date from the first half of the 19th century. The interior of the house has been considerably re-modelled.

SDD state that an original house, in which the decision on the date for the Massacre of Glencoe was made in 1692, was burned down by Hanoverian soldiers in 1746. Until about 1880, Ballachulish House was the seat of the Stewarts of Ballachulish.

RCAHMS 1975, visited June 1971; SDD 1960-

A plain, restored house as described.

Surveyed at 1:2500 scale.

Visited by OS (D W R) 17 November 1971.

People and Organisations

References