Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilneuair, St Columba's Church And Churchyard, Oratory

Burial Aisle (18th Century), Folly (18th Century)

Site Name Kilneuair, St Columba's Church And Churchyard, Oratory

Classification Burial Aisle (18th Century), Folly (18th Century)

Canmore ID 233780

Site Number NM80SE 3.01

NGR NM 88904 03681

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/233780

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmichael Glassary
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

External Reference (20 July 1971)

Probably 18th century. A 'folly'. Square. Rubble, employing ancient carved

stones (probably from the chapel); roofless. Very curious small windows

formed as acute triangles with slightly curved sides (New built up).

T S Muir "Characteristics of Old Church Architecture" 1861 p 82.

Muir accepts it as an authentic mediaeval oratory.

Information from Historic Scotland, 20 July 1971

Field Visit (April 1985)

BURIAL-ENCLOSURE. Some 4m W of the SW angle of the church there stands a roofless structure measuring 4.3m from E to W by 3.1m over 0.5m walls of lime-mortared rubble. The S side-wall is treated as an ornamental facade, having a central acutely-pointed blind arch flanked by two narrow windows of similar form. Alternate blocks of the arch-surround, and also of the angle-quoins of this facade, project boldly and are carved in what appears to be a 'Celtic' equivalent of vermiculated rustication, incorporating rosettes, herring-bone, chevron- and key-ornament, and other fanciful devices. Similar motifs are carved on the sills and jambs of the windows, and of two other windows in the end walls. Apart from these embellishments, it is comparable with other family burial-enclosures in Mid Argyll (e.g. Nos. 32, 48, 63), but no monuments are identifiable. It can hardly be earlier than the end of the 18th century, but knowledge of its origin was lost before 1844 when it was described as an 'oratory' associated with the ruined church, while a photograph of about 1870 shows that it was becoming dilapidated (en.11).

RCAHMS 1992, visited April 1985

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions