Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of ten small photographs variously identified; the top five images are variously identified buildings or ruins and the lower five images are of highland cattle. Of the identifiable buildings, th ...

DP 157310

View of ten small photographs variously identified; the top five images are variously identified buildings or ruins and the lower five images are of highland cattle. 
Of the identifiable buildings, th ...

Description View of ten small photographs variously identified; the top five images are variously identified buildings or ruins and the lower five images are of highland cattle. Of the identifiable buildings, the upper-left image is a view of the front of Colonsay House, Colonsay, Argyll. The upper-right image is a wide view of the ruins of a medieval parish church, dedicated to St Columba, known as 'Kilneuair Chapel', at Kilmichael Glassary, Argyll. The upper-central left image is a view of a boat moored at the Fincharn Castle ruins on the south end of Loch Awe, Argyll. The upper-central right image is another, more detailed, view of the ruins of a medieval parish church, dedicated to St Columba, known as 'Kilneuair Chapel', at Kilmichael Glassary, Argyll. The central right image is another, more detailed, view of the Fincharn Castle ruins on the south end of Loch Awe, Argyll. PHOTOGRAPH ALBUM No. 187, (cf PAs 186 and 188) Rev. J.B. MacKenzie of Colonsay Albums,1870, vol.2.

Date c. 1861 to 1911

Collection General Collection. Photograph Albums.

Catalogue Number DP 157310

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of PA 187/25

Scope and Content These albums were owned by Revd. JB Mackenzie, minister of Colonsay 1861-72 and of Kenmore 1872-1911. They contain large, high quality photographs taken in the late 1860s and early 1870s and were at one time in the possession of the Society of Antiquaries. Many of them show rock formations on Colonsay and carved stones there and at Oronsay, Keills, Loch Swyn and other locations in Knapdale. At one cross at Keills a man with a gun is posed beside a lady with a small coggie and four sheep. There is a view of the village and ruins of Kilmory, Point of Knap with a man sitting on an upturned basket with a rather blurred horse. Other ruins at Ealan Naomh include “an oven-shaped building locally regarded as the tomb of St. Columba’s mother.”

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1340233

People and Organisations

Events

MyCanmore Text Contributions