Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Eigg, Kildonnan

Grave (Viking), Plate(S) (Viking), Sword (Viking), Whetstone (Viking)

Site Name Eigg, Kildonnan

Classification Grave (Viking), Plate(S) (Viking), Sword (Viking), Whetstone (Viking)

Alternative Name(s) Kildonan; Dail Sithean

Canmore ID 22155

Site Number NM48NE 21

NGR NM 491 854

NGR Description NM c. 491 854

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/22155

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Small Isles
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Activities

Note (1928)

NOTE.

In a contribution to the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries on March 11, 1878 (vol. xii., 577-597), mention is made of the following additional monuments:

(1) "Foundations of an island dwelling" in a small loch "lying high up on the shoulder of the Scuir of Eigg, known as Lochan na Mna Moire." The island is apparently that in Lochnam Ban Mora (O.S. 6-inch), the only loch here which has an island; it is inaccessible without a boat.

(2) A cairn, "some five or six hundred yards south from Kildonnan," which provided on excavation the articles in [RCAHMS 1928] No. 2 of list on p. lvi.

(3) A cairn "a few yards further south" with articles in No 3.

(4) Cairn, "Sithean or Sguman-nan-Cailleach," containing "two cists . . . made of flat stones set on edge and laid length wise." Stones of cairn removed to fill up a drain. Sithean na Cailleich on O.S. 6-inch lxxi

The O.S. map 6-inch lxxiii. notes a stone cist just north of Kildonnan Old Church ("Ruins of Chapel," cf. Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot., as above, pp. 584-6); the site of one stone cist found in 1861, and of another in 1864, in Galmisdale; the sites of two crosses (lxxi., lxxii.) and Tobar Challuim Chille ("Columba's Well") in Cleadale (lxxi).

RCAHMS 1928

Desk Based Assessment (18 April 1966)

NM48NE 21 c. 491 854

(Area: NM 491 854) About 1830, a Viking grave was discovered in a hillock just below the division fence in a field called Dail Sithean (the field of the tumulus), halfway between St Donan's Church (NM48NE/SE 19, at NM 488 853) and the rocks to the E.

The finds, which are now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS), comprise: a sword handle of bronze and silver (Accession no: IL 157) - this dates to between 830 and 850 AD; a few thin plates of bronze; part of a buckle (IL 178); a whetstone, and a triangular piece of metal (? tripod vessel foot) (IL 158).

Information from OS (BRS) 18 April 1966

Sources: N MacPherson 1878; NMAS Catalogue 1892; S Grieg 1940; Kelvingrove Museum 1951

Field Visit (7 May 1972)

There is no local knowledge of this grave, nor of the name 'Dail Sithean'. The most likely spot is a prominent natural rise at NM 4908 8531 in a pasture field.

Visited by OS (AA) 7 May 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions