Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, 4 York Street

Mission Hall (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 4 York Street

Classification Mission Hall (20th Century)

Canmore ID 215689

Site Number NS56SE 1589

NGR NS 58478 64957

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/215689

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (22 August 2017)

4 York Street, on the corner of the Broomielaw, was home to the Missions to Seamen when photographed by Professor Hume in 1969. It is annotated ‘Mission Hall’ on the 1:1250 OS Town Plan of Glasgow (1954, NS5864NW- A) and. The 3-storey building included the Wilson Memorial Chapel, which was built in the memory of Rev. Charles Fossick Wilson (1884-1922). Bertie notes (2000, 595) that the chapel was closed in 1969 and rebuilt in St. Gabriel’s Church (NS56NW 218). Today a modern office building occupies the site.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 22 August 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions