Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenock, Custom House Quay, Clock Tower

Beacon (19th Century), Clock Tower (19th Century), Drinking Fountain (19th Century)

Site Name Greenock, Custom House Quay, Clock Tower

Classification Beacon (19th Century), Clock Tower (19th Century), Drinking Fountain (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Greenock Harbour; Harbour Light; Steamboat Quay; Greenock 1

Canmore ID 199871

Site Number NS27NE 154

NGR NS 28330 76237

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/199871

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Greenock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27NE 154 28330 76237

See also:

NS27NE 98.00 28405 76180 Custom House Quay.

Architecture Notes

(Greenock 1: location cited as NS 283 762). On Steamboat Quay: William Clark, 1868. Elaborate cast- and wrought-iron column, replicating Greenock 2. Base square in plan with panelled sides and basins on E and W faces. Reduces to octagon, then to tapering circular-section modified Corinthian column. This is surmounted by clock, with octagonal lantern above, in Gothic style, with crown belfry, ball finial, and weathervane. Moved a few metres E in 1992.

J R Hume 1997.

Activities

Photographic Record (14 October 2011)

Photographed as record update by the Listed Building Area Survey.

Desk Based Assessment (1 September 2017)

The clock tower situated at Custom House Quay, 30m NW of the Custom House, was designed by William Clark and made for Greenock Harbour Trust around 1860. Scotland’s most elaborate harbour light, it has a square in plan cast iron base incorporating a drinking fountain with opposing lion’s head faucets and basins, supporting a Corinthian column, with central rope-moulded band. The column supports a 4-faced clock above which sits an octagonal lantern with crown belfry, ball finial, and weathervane. The light is annotated ‘D.F.’ - Drinking Fountain, on the 2nd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Renfrewshire 1897, Sheet 002.06).

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 1 September 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions