Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Water Row, Govan Ferry Berth

Ferry Crossing (19-20th Century), Ferry Terminal (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Water Row, Govan Ferry Berth

Classification Ferry Crossing (19-20th Century), Ferry Terminal (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde

Canmore ID 178179

Site Number NS56NE 2520

NGR NS 5560 6591

NGR Description NS 5554 6587 to NS 5567 6595

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/178179

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Treasured Places (17 August 2007)

The Govan ferry was one of the oldest routes crossing the River Clyde. By 1900 it was a vehicular ferry, but this was withdrawn in 1965 after the opening of the Clyde Tunnel. A low level passenger ferry on the same route closed the following year.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 17 August 2007

Hume, J 1974

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 2520 5560 6591, NS 5554 6587 to NS 5567 6595

Activities

Field Visit (1967)

Desk Based Assessment (28 June 2016)

Nothing is now visible of this ticket office which stood at the SW end of the landing ramp on the S bank of the River Clyde in an area now used as a car park. The building is depicted on the 2nd edition of the 25-inch map (Lanarkshire 1896, Sheet 006.09), but it also appears in a Glasgow University Special Collections photograph featured on the Hidden Glasgow website: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/HollowHorn/2006/Photo_B0012_0081wf.jpg. Access January 2016.

Information from RCAHMS (JRS) 28 June 2016.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions