Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

South Sutor, Port War Signal Station

Military Camp (Second World War)(Possible), Naval Signal Station (Second World War)

Site Name South Sutor, Port War Signal Station

Classification Military Camp (Second World War)(Possible), Naval Signal Station (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Cromarty Defences; South Sutor Battery

Canmore ID 173676

Site Number NH86NW 11.13

NGR NH 80879 67011

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/173676

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromarty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH86NW 11.13 80879 67011

Previously recorded as NH86NW 15.

The Port War Signal Station for the Cromarty Firth is situated on the W side of the South Sutor coast battery (NH86NW 11.00). The signal station has been demolished, but several buildings constructed of wood, concrete and asbestos sheeting forming part of the hutted camp are extant, albeit in very poor condition.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Vol.2, 59

A group of huts comprising the former WW I and WW II Port War Signal Station. The huts are constructed of wood, concrete and asbestos sheets and are in varying stages of dilapidation.

The Port War Signal Station is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, SW, GS)

Activities

Note (24 July 2013)

The location of the Second World War PWSS (Port War Signal Station)and the associated Royal Navy camp site lie S of the Fire Command Post on a level terrace. Seven buildings are visible to the S of the Fire Command Post (see NH86NW 11.01) on a 1945 RAF air photograph (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945), three of which have camouflage paint schemes on their roof. The signal station comprised one building at NH 80893 06983. The rest of the buildings provided accommodation for navy camp. Only two buildings remain standing at the N end of the terrace while the rest survive as footings.

There is no evidence of this site being in use during the First World War

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 July 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions