Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Hamilton Farm, Viaduct

Viaduct (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Hamilton Farm, Viaduct

Classification Viaduct (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Clyde Ironworks

Canmore ID 172738

Site Number NS66SW 609

NGR NS 63622 61865

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/172738

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Old Monkland (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 609 63622 61865

Location formerly cited as NS 6362 6187.

FB [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, [undated].

For Clyde Iron Works (adjacent to E), see NS66SW 259.

For road bridge adjacent to S, see NS66SW 967.

(Location cited as NS 637 618). Viaduct, Clyde Ironworks. Opened 1865 by the Caledonian Rly. A 5-span viaduct with dressed-stone arch rings and coursed-rubble spandrels and piers. The arches are segmental and the cutwaters rounded.

J R Hume 1976.

Viaduct near Clyde Ironworks. A low four-arched sandstone viaduct opened by the Caledonian Railway Co. in 1865, and still carrying two tracks. The arch spans are about 18m (60ft). Arch, spandrel and parapet surfaces are of rock-faced ashlar; cutwaters semicircular in plan.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This viaduct carries the Rutherglen - Coatbridge line of the Former Caledonian Rly over the River Clyde, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Rutherglen (to the W) and Old Monkland (to the E).

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the span. The available map evidence suggests that the structure extends from NS c. 63553 61865 to NS c. 63666 61873.

The annotation on the current OS map may suggest either that a footbridge has been added to the side of the bridge or that the main structure has been partly converted for use as such.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 January 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions