Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Rutherglen Bridge

Road Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Rutherglen Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Clyde; Main Street, Rutherglen; Shawfield Drive; Dalmarnock

Canmore ID 169751

Site Number NS66SW 507

NGR NS 60614 63090

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/169751

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Rutherglen (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 507 60614 63090

Location formerly cited as NS 6060 6308.

For predecessor bridge (NS c. 6061 6309), see NS66SW 959.

Rutherglen Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1968.

Rutherglen Bridge, Main Street, opened in 1896, replacing a five-arched structure built in 1776. The present bridge has three flat segmental arches, faced in granite.

J R Hume 1974.

Rutherglen Bridge. From Main Street to Shawfield Drive. 1893-6. Engineer Crouch and Hogg of Glasgow; contractor Morrison and Mason. With the dignified and rather solemn aesthetic of a Glasgow civic bridge in the expected material, grey granite. 18m (60ft) wide, three arches of lowsegmental form, supported on V-jointed piers and abutments, solid pilasters over both. A rounded solidity charcaterises the details at arch springings, caps of cutwaters, and the copings of the solid parapets.

E Williamson, A Riches and M Higgs 1990.

This bridge carries a public road (Main Street, Rutherglen) across the River Clyde between Rutherglen (to the S) and Dalmarnock (to the N). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Glasgow (to the N) and Govan (to the S).

The location cited for this bridge defines the centre of the main span. The available map evidence indicates that the structure extends from NS c. 60570 63039 to NS c. 60627 63123.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 December 2005.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Glasgow, Rutherglen Bridge.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Mitchell Library - Glasgow In Former Times II - lithograph c.1850

- bridge, 1850 pencil and wash

- engraving of bridge

Mitchell Library -T. Fairburn's Relics of Anc. Arch. - drawing from the east end of the Glen with Mansion.

Activities

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

Rutherglen Bridge was built from 1893–96, and links Main Street to Shawfield Drive. It consists of three low-rise segmental masonry arches of 90 ft and 100 ft span faced with grey granite from Cornwall, Dalbeattie and Aberdeen. The engineers were Crouch & Hogg and the contractor, Morrison & Mason. The temporary steelwork for the erection of the bridge was furnished by Sir Wm. Arrol & Co.

This bridge replaced a five-span segmental arch stone bridge, 16 ft wide between parapet faces, built in 1774–75 to the design of James Watt and costing about £2000 (see NS66SW 959).

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions