Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arndilly

Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Arndilly

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Arndilly House

Canmore ID 16341

Site Number NJ24NE 2

NGR NJ 2906 4707

NGR Description Removed to NJ 2906 4711

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/16341

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Boharm
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Arndilly, Moray, Pictish symbol stone fragment

Measurements: H 0.80m, W 0.80m

Stone type:

Place of discovery: NJ c 2905 4710

Present location: NJ 2906 4711

Evidence for discovery: it is first recorded built into the old church of Arndilly and probably came from the old burial ground. When the church was demolished in order to build Arndilly House c 1750, the stone was built into the east exterior wall of the offices.

Present condition: trimmed and weathered.

Description

This fragment is incised with two Pictish symbols: on the left a circular disc and rectangle (or ‘mirror-case’) and to the right an indented rectangle and Z-rod. Both are finely ornamented, including hatching.

Date: seventh century

References: ECMS pt 3, 131-2; Fraser 2008, no 148.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Arndilly, Moray, Pictish symbol stone fragment

Measurements: H 0.80m, W 0.80m

Stone type:

Place of discovery: NJ c 2905 4710

Present location: NJ 2906 4711

Evidence for discovery: it is first recorded built into the old church of Arndilly and probably came from the old burial ground. When the church was demolished in order to build Arndilly House c 1750, the stone was built into the east exterior wall of the offices.

Present condition: trimmed and weathered.

Description

This fragment is incised with two Pictish symbols: on the left a circular disc and rectangle (or ‘mirror-case’) and to the right an indented rectangle and Z-rod. Both are finely ornamented, including hatching.

Date range: seventh century

Primary references: ECMS pt 3, 131-2; Fraser 2008, no 148.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2018

Archaeology Notes

NJ24NE 2 2906 4707 removed to 2906 4711

(NJ 2905 4711) Sculptured Stone (NR)

OS 6"map, (1959)

A sculptured stone, now built into the wall of Arndilly House, was taken out of the wall of the church that formerly occupied the site. The inscriptions include mirror and Z-rod symbols.

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

Activities

Field Visit (5 July 1967)

The symbol stone was moved from its former location to NJ 2906 4707 about seven years ago. Set into the wall it is about 0.8m square and bears 3 symbols, 2 as described, the third a chariot and 2 ponies.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R L) 5 July 1967.

Reference (1994)

Removed to NJ 2906 4707.

RCAHMS 1994.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone showing a mirror-case and a divided rectangle and Z-rod.

A Mack 1997. p.96

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions