Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Arndilly Description of stone

Event ID 1022858

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1022858

Arndilly, Moray, Pictish symbol stone fragment

Measurements: H 0.80m, W 0.80m

Stone type:

Place of discovery: NJ c 2905 4710

Present location: NJ 2906 4711

Evidence for discovery: it is first recorded built into the old church of Arndilly and probably came from the old burial ground. When the church was demolished in order to build Arndilly House c 1750, the stone was built into the east exterior wall of the offices.

Present condition: trimmed and weathered.

Description

This fragment is incised with two Pictish symbols: on the left a circular disc and rectangle (or ‘mirror-case’) and to the right an indented rectangle and Z-rod. Both are finely ornamented, including hatching.

Date: seventh century

References: ECMS pt 3, 131-2; Fraser 2008, no 148.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2017

People and Organisations

References