Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We are now accepting Search Room bookings. Click here for further information.

Glasgow, 191-197 Scotland Street, Howden's Works

Engineering Works (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, 191-197 Scotland Street, Howden's Works

Classification Engineering Works (19th Century)

Canmore ID 160252

Site Number NS56SE 332

NGR NS 57822 64116

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/160252

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Howden's Main Works, 191-197 Scotland Street, from 1897, Nisbet Sinclair, engineer, with Bryden & Robertson (1907) and later Dykes & Robertson, architects

Flat-roofed single-storey east lodge and taller two-storey red ashlar offices in front of workshop. Two-storey west lodge added 1902, second floor when north-lit mansard-roofed drawing office added to office block, and extended steel-framed works behind, 1907, Dykes & Robertson. Works greatly extended since 1914.

Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 332 57822 64116

Engineering works located at 195 Scotland Street and built from 1897. Built for James Howden and Co. engineers. Nisbet Sinlcair was the engineer on the build with Bryden and Robertson and Dykes and Robertson as architects. Original offices consisted of a single storey , the later block a two storey and attic, eight- bay, mansard-roofed with steel-framed workshops at the rear. The site was expanded after 1918.

Hume, 1976

The remains of this engineering works is under threat of demolition. B Listed.

Information from RCAHMS (MMD), 22 October 2007.

Site Management (19 September 2012)

1. 2 ashlar square-section gatepiers. Lodge, 1897, advanced from main W elevation, 2-storey ashlar. Ground floor 2 doors, 3 windows. 1st floor 2 windows, cornice, tall wallhead stack. Flat roof.

2. 1897 2-storey 9-bay offices ashlar, banded on ground floor. Central doorway. Recessed windows with roll moulded arrises and wooden frames. Cornice, parapet and 2 wallhead stacks. Mansard roof, red tiles and large windows, added 1907 for drawing office. Cast-iron railings.

3. Advanced lodge, circa 1902, 2-storey (originally similar to E lodge) with later top floor above cornice. Ashlar. Ground floor 1 door and 1 window. 3 1st and 2nd floor windows. 2 ashlar square-section gatepiers.

4. 2-storey 3-bay ashlar workmen's mess-room; cornice and parapet, 1908.

5. Machine shop, 1908, pressed brick, with 2 gables to the street. Smaller gable has 6 window ground floor men's dining room. 1st floor 5 modern windows. String course and arch enclose blank oculus. Simple gable topped by small pediment.

6. Larger gable to W has original wide doorway, string courses, arch projecting on corbels, blank oculus, small apex pediment. Blank west wall, ordinary brick. Original corrugated roof has been renewed. Behind offices, excluding 2-storey office addition: Bays 2-7: 1897 machine and onstructing shop, 6 East-West bays, each 30' tall with 28' spans. Steel frame with

cast-iron crane girder brackets. Brick walls with shafting boxes. Roof of steel rings and tie-bar couples. Corrugated roof renewed. Bays 8-10; 1898 sheet iron workers shop, extended probably in 1920s. 1898 Smithy, brick walls and steel tie roof. Bays 11-13, circa 1902, 3 N-S fitting machine shops steel framed and cast-iron brackets, slightly arched steel trusses.

1 bay contains new office. Bay 14: 1908, tall 45' span fitting shop, steel framed, with travelling crane. Steel truss roof. South walls of bays 10-14, brick with tall arched gable for bay 14. All now harled.

Howden's Works from 1898 to the present. Howden's "Forced Draught" system patented 1882 achieved a great fuel efficiency, and was fitted to the Mauritania, the Lusitania and other ships. To concentrate on marine auxiliary equipment, Howden needed the smaller bays erected here. Land

work was carried out after 1902, including in 1914 the largest turbine generator in the UK. The much larger fitting shop was added for these in 1908. A good example of buildings responding to function. The large shops to the west added 1954 and 1964, are not listed, nor is the modern addition

over W. gate, or the 2-storey office behind main office. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions