Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tarbatness Lighthouse And Keepers' Cottages

Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tarbatness Lighthouse And Keepers' Cottages

Classification Lighthouse (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tarbat Ness Lighthouse; Portmahomack

Canmore ID 15615

Site Number NH98NW 11

NGR NH 94695 87559

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15615

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Tarbat
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH98NW 11.00 94695 87559

Tarbatness Lighthouse [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, [1977].

NH98NW 11.01 NH 94689 87569 East Keepers' Cottages

NH98NW 11.02 NH 94679 87559 West Keepers' Cottages

See also NH98NW 2.

(Location cited as NH 947 876). Tarbat Ness Lighthouse, built 1830 by engineer Robert Stevenson, rebuilt 1892. A tall circular tower on a semicircular one-storey base, with a triangular paned lantern with a domed roof. The corbelled parapet is machicolated. The keepers' houses are of the normal single-storey, flat-roofed variety.

J R Hume 1977.

As originally built (by James Smith of Inverness) the lighthouse used obaque cylindrical shades moved in the vertical plane to display an 'intermittent' or occulting light. Eathquake shocks have been felt at the lighthouse, and the two distinguishing horizontal bands were added in 1915.

R W Munro 1979.

Lighthouse stable condition; helipad overgrown.

CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.

Tarbat Ness Lighthouse is was erected in 1830 by Robert Stevenson, and was rebuilt 1892. It comprises a tall circular tower on a semicircular single-storeyed base, and includes two blocks of typical Northern Lighthouse Board single-storeyed flat-roofed keepers' dwellings as well as a number of outbuildings, all of which are situated within a large compound surrounded by a random-rubble wall. The tower has a domed roof and triangular-paned lantern, beneath which there is a corbelled parapet.

At the time of survey, the light had been automated and the keepers' accommodation had been sold for private use.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2003.

Activities

Construction (1830)

Light established in 1830.

K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986

Modification (1985)

Automated in 1985.

K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986

Photographic Survey (2003)

Tarbat Ness Lighthouse is was erected in 1830 by Robert Stevenson, and was rebuilt 1892. It comprises a tall circular tower on a semicircular single-storeyed base, and includes two blocks of typical Northern Lighthouse Board single-storeyed flat-roofed keepers' dwellings as well as a number of outbuildings, all of which are situated within a large compound surrounded by a random-rubble wall. The tower has a domed roof and triangular-paned lantern, beneath which there is a corbelled parapet. At the time of survey, the light had been automated and the Keepers' accommodation had been sold for private use.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2003.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions