Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, 1, 2, 3, 4 Tower Place, Leith Sailors' Home

Hostel (19th Century), Hotel (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, 1, 2, 3, 4 Tower Place, Leith Sailors' Home

Classification Hostel (19th Century), Hotel (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Leith Docks; Angel Hotel; Malmaison Hotel

Canmore ID 153378

Site Number NT27NE 663

NGR NT 27186 76705

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/153378

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27NE 663 27186 76705

Sailors' Home [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1970.

For (adjacent) Leith Docks), see NT27NE 57.00.

Edinburgh, 2-4 Tower Place, Leith Sailor's Home.

From discussion with the builders working on the restoration [Jane Thomas 28.1.1992]:

Carved panel with damaged inscription removed during restoration 1991/1992. Replacement panel made with the inscription completed, research having shown that it was the same as that on Trinity House, Leith:

'Pervia, Virtuti, Sidera, Terra, Mare'.

Original panel re-sited inside the building.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

Between the first floor windows on the south façade is a panel carved with the Leith coat of arms above the Edinburgh coat of arms.

Between the second and third floors on the south façade is a commemorative panel detailing the opening date of the building.

At first floor level on the north façade is a panel carved with an anchor, the entwined initials of the architects and the date 1882-4. (The anchor forms the letter I in the word ARCHITECT.]

On the west façade, between the third and fourth floors, is a panel containing the coats of arms of Trinity House, carved with two globes, an anchor, a cross-staff and other nautical instruments in use in the sixteenth century.

Between the first and second floors on the west façade is a panel carved with a female figure representing Britannia, holding a large flag and a medallion portrait of Nelson. On the right of the panel is a lion and a sailing ship. At the bottom is a large open book on which lie a compass and set square.

Above the entrance on the west façade is a keystone carved into an angel's head with wings.

Inscriptions : On ribbon above Edinburgh coat of arms: NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA

On ribbon above Leith coat of arms: PERSEVERE

On panel between 2nd and 3rd floors (raised letters): OPENED BY / THE EARL OF / ROSEBERY / JANUARY 29TH / 1885

On panel on west façade in centre of clock tower: TRINITY HOUSE / PERVIA VIRTVTI SYDERA TERRA MARE

On panel on west façade between 1st and 2nd floors (raised letters): FOUNDATION STONE LAID / WITH MASONIC HONORS (sic) BY / THE GRAND MASTER MASON / OF SCOTLAND THE EARL OF / MAR AND KELLIE AND THE / LODGE TRAFALGAR No.223 / OF LEITH 20TH SEPTR 1883

JAMES FOTHERINGHAM R.W.M. / CHARLES S S JOHNSTON ARCH / GEORGE CRAIG SEC.

On portrait medallion of Nelson on the same panel (raised letters): NELSON

Above keystone head (raised entwined numbers): 1883

Signatures : On panel on north wall (raised letters): [entwined letters] / ARCH[I]TECT / A.D.1882-4

Design period : 1883-1885

Year of unveiling : 1885

Unveiling details : Building opened by the Earl of Rosebery 29 January 1885

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0404)

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

The metal rods forming the base 'basket' curve up, out and back to create the image of a breaking wave in linear art nouveau style. The jardiniere can contain plants. It forms a large and impressive focal point and 'full stop' to the shore area and hotel forecourt.

Commissioned by Forth Ports Plc. The art nouveau style was specified in the brief for the project. The landscape architects would have liked a garden but this was difficult in the marine environment. The forms of the Jardiniere de la Mer suggest plant growth and swirling winds as well as waves: linking land and sea.

A jardiniere is an ornamental container usually used for growing plants indoors. 'De la mer' means 'of the sea'.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None Visible

Year of unveiling : 1994

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0407)

Field Visit (28 May 2001)

The front-facing bust sits on top of a tall iron column to which an oval bronze plaque is attached. John Hunter's shoulders taper down to his chest, no arms are included. The governor is shown in uniform with epaulettes, broad lapels and a stand-up collar. His hair is swept back and covers his ears. Raised eyebrows give a slightly surprised look to the face. The overall surface is slightly rough and reminiscent of the clay original. The execution is rather crude.

Inscriptions : On bronze plaque attached to column (raised letters): GOVERNOR / JOHN HUNTER // GOVERNOR OF NEW SOUTH WALES 1795 - 1800 / BORN LEITH 29TH AUGUST 1737 / DIED LONDON 13TH MARCH 1821 // JOHN HUNTER, SON OF A LEITH SHIP MASTER, WAS SECOND IN / COMMMAND ABOARD H.M.S. SIRIUS TO GOVERNOR ARTHUR PHILLIP / WHO FOUNDED THE COLONY IN JANUARY 1788. HE RETURNED TO BE / THE COLONY'S SECOND GOVERNOR AND CONDUCTED ITS GOVERNMENT / WITH SENSE, DUTY, AND HUMANITY. // THIS BUST WAS DONATED TO THE SCOTS AUSTRALIAN COUNCIL IN / EDINBURGH BY ITS SCULPTOR, VICTOR CUSACK, AND THE SCOTTISH / AUSTRALIAN HERITAGE COUNCIL IN SYDNEY AND WAS UNVEILED ON / 28TH AUGUST 1994, BY THE RT. HON. NORMAN IRONS, THE / LORD PROVOST OF THE CITY OF EDINBURGH, AND HIS / EXCELLENCY, THE HON. NEAL BLEWETT, HIGH / COMMISSIONER FOR AUSTRALIA.

Signatures : At an angle at bottom left on chest below lapel (incised letters):

VICTOR CUSACK / 1993

At an angle at bottom right on chest below lapel (incised letters):

VICE ADMIRAL / JOHN HUNTER. R.N. / 1737-1821

Design period : 1993

Unveiling details : 28th August 1994

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0405)

Field Visit (7 November 2001)

Bronze bench with a bronze seated figure of Sandy Irvine Robertson at one end. The figure has his left arm draped along the back of the bench, his right hand in his lap, and his legs crossed (right over left). The figure is turned slightly into the centre and his head is at the diagonal to the bench. Dressed in suit, shirt and tie, with lace-up shoes, holding a folded 'card' with the letters SBAAT around the top.

Inscriptions : On plaque on back of seat (raised letters): SANDY IRVINE ROBERTSON O.B.E. /

11TH AUGUST 1942 - 20TH JUNE 1999 / COMMISSIONED BY HIS FRIENDS /

SCULPTED BY LUCY POETT

Around top of 'card' in figure's left hand (raised letters): SBAAT

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0406)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions