Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Glasgow, Benalder Street, Partick Central Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Benalder Street, Partick Central Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kelvin Hall Station

Canmore ID 152928

Site Number NS56NE 1091

NGR NS 56146 66369

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/152928

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 1091 56146 66369

Location formerly entered as NS 5611 6636 and NS 5614 6637.

Kelvin Hall Station (originally Partick Central Station), Benalder Street: built c. 1896 for the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Rly. An island platform station with booking office at streeet level and stairs down to the platform. Closed 5 October 1965; the platform buildings were demolished in 1968.

J R Hume 1974.

The 1975 edition of this map notes what appears to be the street-level building of this station as 40 and 46 Benalder Street at NS 56146 66369. No platforms are depicted, but there is an area of sidings and other facilities (including a coal hopper) to the W (around NS 5610 6636).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 9 December 2005.

Activities

Reference (1995)

Partick station was opened on 1 May 1896 by the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Rly, which has amalgamted into the Caledonian Rly. It was renamed Kelvin Hall Station by the British Transport Commission on 15 June 1959, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 October 1964.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions