Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edderton Station

House (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edderton Station

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Edderton, Station House

Canmore ID 14663

Site Number NH78NW 29

NGR NH 70789 85420

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14663

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Edderton
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH78NW 29 70789 85420

Station House [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2009.

Location formerly entered as NH 70782 85421.

(Location cited as NH 707 854). Edderton Station, opened 1864 by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Rly. Formerly a two-platform through station, the only surviving part is the down-platform building, a one-storey and attic structure on a T plan, with an awning in the angle of the T and round the end. It resembles the larger stations north of Bonar Bridge. Now a dwelling house.

J R Hume 1977.

Built in 1864 for the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Railway, Edderton Station comprises a two-storeyed 'T'-plan station house which was converted to a private dwelling after the closure of the station in 1960.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO) 2002.

This intermediate station on the Inverness - Wick and Thurso 'Far North' line of the former Highland Rly was opened on 1 October 1864 by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Rly. The station closed to regular passenger traffic on 13 June 1960, but the line remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 13 December 2003.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions