Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Chapelton, St Mary's Chapel

Chapel (Medieval)

Site Name Chapelton, St Mary's Chapel

Classification Chapel (Medieval)

Canmore ID 14254

Site Number NH74NW 7

NGR NH 73196 46445

NGR Description Centred on NH 73196 46445

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14254

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74NW 7 7319 4643.

(NH 7319 4643) St. Mary's Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

'St Mary's Chapel (site of)...No remains of this chapel at present exist, but its site is carefully preserved from the plough. It is said to have been dedicated to the Virgin; and though built before the Reformation, the exact date cannot be obtained. About 25 years ago the proprietor made excavations, and disclosed the foundations of the building, besides turning up a quantity of human bones.'

Name Book 1868.

On Chapelton the foundations of a chapel were visible until 1897.

ISSFC 1898.

The site of the chapel is on a low knoll and is now under the plough; no traces exist.

Visited by OS (E G C) 25 April 1962.

Activities

Field Visit (February 1978)

Chapelton, St Mary's Chapel NH 731 464 NH74NW 7

Nothing can now be seen of this pre-Reformation chapel.

RCAHMS 1979, visited February 1978

Name Book, Inverness, no. 31, p. 4; Transactions of the Inverness Scientific Society and Field Club, v, 1895-9, 184

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions