Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Petty, St Columba's Church And Macintosh Vault

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Petty, St Columba's Church And Macintosh Vault

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Parish Church Of Scotland; Old Petty Church; Macintosh Vault

Canmore ID 14246

Site Number NH74NW 55

NGR NH 73871 49886

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14246

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Petty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74NW 55.00 73871 49886

NH74NW 55.01 NH 73882 49849 Watch House

NH 738 499 A survey was made of the gravestones of Petty churchyard, with a total of 332 memorials being recorded. Related documentation in the form of a burial register was also included in the research. The present church, which is out of use, was built in 1836.

Full report lodged with the NMRS.

S Farrell 2001.

Site Management (26 June 1990)

Large T-plan church, with small burial mausoleum (Circa 1686) at E gable. All red rubble with similar tooled ashlar dressings; harled mausoleum with ashlar dressings. 4 long symmetrical square-headed, hoodmoulded windows to S elevation of church, with square-headed, also hoodmoulded, entrances in outer bays. Similar window and door in west elevation of rear T-wing, with further window in east of T-wing. Considerably larger, but similar, window lights West gable of church; all these large windows have moulded wooden transoms and mullions and multi-pane glazing. Small 16-pane gallery windows in north and east gables, similar windows light rear of church. Truncated corbelled octagonal bellcote at west gable apex; partially damaged cross finials at East and North apices. Accentuated skewputts; slate roofs.

Church no longer in ecclesiastical use. Present building on site of 1769 church. (Historic Scotland)

Site Management (26 June 1990)

Small and low L-plan with narrow 3-bay front, comprising centre pointed-headed door with flanking similarly arched windows with simple Y-tracery. Mural monument in form of Venetian window with blind or defaced panels, moulded cornices to side lights, dated 1742 and initialled LM and AD. Moulded eaves cornice; piended slate roof. Pair cast-iron cats bearing banners standing on stone plinths flank entrance.

Church no longer in ecclesiastical use. Present building on site of 1769 church. Lachlan Mackintosh of Kinrara (Alvie Parish, Badenoch and Strathspey) left "500 marks money ... for building ane chapel of esslar (ashlar) work at easter gable of kirk of Petty to be ane burial place for Lairds of Mackintosh and their ladies ... to be erected within 18 months of decease" (also in 1686). Cat in crest of Mackintosh family and Clan Chattan. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions