Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lynmore

Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lynmore

Classification Building(S) (Period Unassigned), Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Glen More; Lynemore

Canmore ID 139627

Site Number NJ30NW 62

NGR NJ 3268 0843

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139627

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Strathdon
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Accessing Scotland's Past

The ruins of Lynemore farmsteading lie in a forestry plantation close to the confluence of the Burn of Glen Beag and the Burn of Glen More. It comprises at least seven buildings, including a farmhouse and a barn with a horse-engine attached, but the disposition of the buildings is different to that shown on the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map, published in 1869, indicating that the steading was probably rebuilt in the late nineteenth century.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project at http://www.accessingscotlandspast.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NJ30NW 62 3268 0843

Not to be confused with the farmstead of the same name at NJ 3462 0856 and NJ 3456 0853, for which see NJ30NW 84.

The farmstead of Lynmore now stands ruinous in a modern forestry plantation. The farmhouse has a large arched fireplace in its gable and there was a horse-engine platform to the rear of the adjoining barn. Of the seven other buildings depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire 1869, sheet LXIX), all but one of which were roofless, little trace now remains. Most of them were probably removed when a new steading was constructed on an H-plan to the SE. This steading contained what was presumably a threshing mill in its NE range, and a lade delivered water to the water-wheel from a pond immediately to the N of the steading (1902, sheet LXIX).

Visited by RCAHMS (PC), 6 August 1997

A farmstead and buildings, comprising two roofed buildings, one of which has a horse-engine platform attached and eight unroofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire 1869, sheet lxix). Two roofed, two unroofed buildings and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1972).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 June 1999.

(Location cited as NJ 3272 0844). Lynemore: the remains of a small farmstead and enclosure survive in woodland on a gentle slope at an altitude of 385m OD.

NMRS, MS/712/103.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions