Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balloch, Pier

Pier (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Balloch, Pier

Classification Pier (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Balloch Pier Station; Loch Lomond

Canmore ID 127162

Site Number NS38SE 43

NGR NS 38530 82560

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/127162

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Bonhill (West Dunbartonshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS38SE 43 3853 8256

For associated station, see NS38SE 32.

(Location cited as NS 386 825). Balloch Pier, opened in present form 1896 by the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Line Committee. The steamer pier, a sheet- piled modern structure replaced a timber-piled pier, the shire end of which still exists, supporting a wooden station building, with a bracketed glazed awning.

J R Hume 1976.

"Balloch Pier: A small railway pier on Loch Lomond, with a wooden block of station offices partly supported on piles. The steamer berth is protected by sheet metal piling. Now used for pleasure sailings on the Loch, with PS Maid of the Loch."

Visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 29 April 1971.

See NMRS MS/749 for photographic prints [Dunbartonshire Bonhill/ Balloch parish].

"Balloch Pier: PS Maid of the Loch, built by A & J Inglis, Pointhouse, engines by Rankin and Blackmore, Greenock."

Visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 1977.

See NMRS MS/749 for contact prints, JR Hume negatives H77/73/12 [Dunbartonshire Bonhill/ Balloch parish].

Architecture Notes

NS38SE 43 3853 8256

"...opened in present form 1896 by the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Line Committee. The steamer pier, a sheet- piled modern structure replaced a timber- piled pier, the shire end of which still exists, supporting a wooden station building, with a bracketed glazed awning."

J R Hume 1976

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions