Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SW showing SSW front of station building

SC 787443

Description View from SW showing SSW front of station building

Date 29/4/1971

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 787443

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Pier, Balloch, West Dunbartonshire This shows the landward end of the pier from the west,. The wooden building, supported on piles, contains the waiting rooms, and the brick block to the right houses the booking office. Rains come in from the right. And stop almost opposite the steamer berth The steamer service from this pier was withdrawn in the early 1970s, and the railway was subsequently cut back to a new station in the town centre. The last paddle steamer on the loch, the 'Maid of the Loch', has survived, and is being restored, with the intention of resuming services on the loch There has been a pier here since 1850, when the Caledonian & Dumbartonshire Railway reached Balloch, and wished to interchange traffic with steamers plying on Loch Lomond. The pier existing in 1971 was constructed in 1896 by the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Line Committee Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/35/37

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/787443

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 787443) View from SW showing SSW front of station building

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions