Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from ESE looking down pier with Maid of the Loch docked

SC 787498

Description View from ESE looking down pier with Maid of the Loch docked

Date 29/4/1971

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 787498

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Pier Station, Balloch, West Dunbartonshire This shows the paddle steamer 'Maid of the Loch' berthed at the pier, looking north from the end of the platform of the station. In the foreground is a spare gangway, used for boarding the vessel. Until about 1950 there were two steamers operating on the loch. In 1953 the survivor, the 'Prince Edward' was replaced by the 'Maid of the Loch', which, as can be seen, was still operating in 1971. She was withdrawn in the mid-1970s, but still survives, berthed at this pier, and is being restored. This facility was built in 1896 by the Dumbarton & Balloch Joint Line Committee, a partnership between the North British and Caledonian Railways, which shared the line between Dumbarton and Balloch. It was an interchange point between trains and the committee's steamers on Loch Lomond. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/35/33

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/787498

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 787498) View from ESE looking down pier with Maid of the Loch docked

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions